Well, Leon came over last night, and we worked on the engine a bit. I bought the correct sized socket for the crank bolt. Apparently it also fits the cam nut, and the steering wheel nut too.
I tried to turn the engine over by hand but it was a no-go. I figured, maybe we should start removing things, hoping that the more we removed, the less friction would be there so the crank might eventually move... WRONG!
We started by removing the head with rocker gear, and push rods. Her's a picture of each cylinder starting with #1.. #2 has the oil in it. Apparently this unit has "D" top piston's per CTR's comments. #1
So, now the head is removed. What I can see of the cylinder walls, they are smooth, with no scrapes. there was a ridge along the top of each cyilnder, but they were all roughly the same size, so it may be that the tops of the pistons don;t reach the top of the bores?
Here's the head:
We attempted to turn the crank again, with no luck... so we removed the tappet covers to take a look.:
Now the inside of the tappet chest is covered in this coagulateed, oil type stuff, with clumps of it in the corners. You can also see flaky/rusty type stuff on the push rods. it comes off flaky, but will smoosh with your finger tips, and is every oily.
We again attempted to turn the engine by hand.. still no go. We decided maybe the cam is frozen, and not the crank (always hoping the crank and cylinders were free, and something else was giving us grief)
we removed the timing chain and gears:
Again the timing set was covered in this rusty covered oil.
We got the cam to turn by hand, and watched the tappets go up, but not down.. obviously this coaggulated goo was prohibiting them from falling.
Again we tried turning it by hand, with no luck. Now, the flywheel and clutch are still attached (wok removed), but nothing is spinning. I sprayed PB blaster in the cylinders at the end of the night, and left the shop defeated.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own." - Adam Savage