Memorial Day 2019 10% banner
   Forum Width:     Forum Type: 

Found 50 Messages

Previous Set of Pages 1 | 2 | 3

 Posted: Feb 17, 2019 01:48PM
Total posts: 2178
Last post: May 25, 2019
Member since:Dec 1, 2002
Cars in Garage: 0
Photos: 0
WorkBench Posts: 0
US
If I am reading the electrical diagram correct, the upper fuse only goes to the dome light and horn.

"How can anything bigger be mini?"

 Posted: Feb 17, 2019 01:07PM
Total posts: 8146
Last post: May 26, 2019
Member since:Aug 14, 2002
Cars in Garage: 0
Photos: 0
WorkBench Posts: 0
CA
If the car is a '62 and has a generator, then it probably has a voltage regulator. This is an electro-mechanical device that limits how much charge goes from the generator to the battery and all the electrical circuits.
It should allow about 13 or 14 volts to pass back to the battery. The battery at full charge should actually provide 13.2 volts, and to charge it, the charging voltage needs to be a bit higher than the battery.

It uses coils and breaker points to control voltage. Over time the points get worn or corroded and need to be cleaned up. Then there are adjustment screws to actually set the voltage throughput.

Test it with your multi-meter.
Check also the belt tension and the generator connections are correct.

.

"Hang on a minute lads....I've got a great idea."

 Posted: Feb 17, 2019 12:39PM
Total posts: 30
Last post: Apr 14, 2019
Member since:May 6, 2017
Cars in Garage: 0
Photos: 0
WorkBench Posts: 0
Hi All,

Thanks so far.

Status update: I'm picking the battery up from AutoZone later this afternoon.  It was showing 10.5 volts when I took it in, with 0% charge.  The battery's 10 months old.

Newbie question: when we push-started it yesterday and drove around for about 20 minutes, why didn't that recharge the battery?  It's got a new generator just put in.

Thanks again,
Ryan

 Posted: Feb 17, 2019 07:50AM
Total posts: 8925
Last post: May 25, 2019
Member since:Jun 5, 2000
Cars in Garage: 0
Photos: 0
WorkBench Posts: 0
US
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryannnnnnnnn
I bought my '62 Morris Mini a little over a year.  

When I push the ignition button, I hear nothing at all.  The engine doesn't try to turn over.  Just complete silence.


I suggest following Spank's advice.  Get the battery charged and try again.  If you still have silence when you push the starter button, try the following.
Place the battery on the floor in front of the car.
Place the gear selector in neutral.
Connect a set of jumper cables as follows:  Red lead to battery plus, other end of red lead to the big battery cable on the starter motor.
Connect the black jumper lead to battery minus.

Make sure the other end of the black jumper cable lead is NOT touching anything yet.  Rest it on a towel or similar.
When you are ready, take the lose black jumper cable lead and press it firmly against a bare metal spot on the engine.

If the engine would not turn over with the push button but does turn over with the jumper cables, the problem is in your push button starter switch.

NOTE:  During the jumper cable test, when you push the black lead against the bare metal spot on the engine there WILL be a big spark.  That is normal.  Don't let it scare you.  It won't hurt you.

Doug L.
 Posted: Feb 17, 2019 04:07AM
Total posts: 2178
Last post: May 25, 2019
Member since:Dec 1, 2002
Cars in Garage: 0
Photos: 0
WorkBench Posts: 0
US
While the battery is out charging would be a good time to check and clean the large wire connections at the starter switch. Also check/clean both ends of the engine ground strap and the battery ground strap.

"How can anything bigger be mini?"

 Posted: Feb 16, 2019 11:27PM
Total posts: 6102
Last post: May 19, 2019
Member since:Mar 9, 1999
Cars in Garage: 0
Photos: 0
WorkBench Posts: 0
Step 1, remove your battery completely and bring it to your local Autozone or Oreily's or similar and have them charge it for free.

Step 2, reinstall your battery.

Step 3, try again to start the car.

 Posted: Feb 16, 2019 10:38PM
Total posts: 1158
Last post: May 26, 2019
Member since:Jul 15, 2008
Cars in Garage: 0
Photos: 117
WorkBench Posts: 1
US
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryannnnnnnnn

I asked my neighbor, and he blew a fuse…
Hi Ryannnn. I'm sure you'll not have much trouble figuring out your electrical issue. The symptoms you describe are pretty easy to trace back to their source and there's plenty of knowledgable and helpful folks here. I'm more concerned with your neighbor. Sounds like he could use your multimeter.

 

Michael, Santa Barbara, CA

. . . the sled, not the flower

      Poser MotorSports

 Posted: Feb 16, 2019 07:40PM
Total posts: 30
Last post: Apr 14, 2019
Member since:May 6, 2017
Cars in Garage: 0
Photos: 0
WorkBench Posts: 0
Hi Willie,

I do have a multimeter.  

Here's what happened up to this point: the generator died, and my car sat around undriven for over 2 months.  My neighbor helped me put the new generator in, but it didn't start up.  When I pressed the ignition the 1st time, the engine tried to start.  Pushed it again, and there was nothing but silence.  I looked at the fuses, and the upper one was blown.  I replaced it, tried starting the car again, and it was still silent.

I push-started the car and drove around for 20 minutes.  Head lights and brake lights work, but the turn signals don't.

When I turned it off after the drive, I tried starting it again, and it's still completely silent.

Thanks,
Ryan

 Posted: Feb 16, 2019 06:31PM
Total posts: 2178
Last post: May 25, 2019
Member since:Dec 1, 2002
Cars in Garage: 0
Photos: 0
WorkBench Posts: 0
US
No, it is not your coil. The coil provides spark when the engine is running. If you get nothing when starting then you have a bad starter switch, starter or wiring or a dead battery. Do you have a multi meter and know how to use it?

Let's back up a bit.

Was it starting & running till this? Do you just change anything?

"How can anything bigger be mini?"

 Posted: Feb 16, 2019 06:11PM
Total posts: 30
Last post: Apr 14, 2019
Member since:May 6, 2017
Cars in Garage: 0
Photos: 0
WorkBench Posts: 0
Hi All,

I bought my '62 Morris Mini a little over a year.  I've got my 1st electrical issue, and this is the 1st time I've fixed a car on my own (I'm very new to this and ready to LEARN).

Here's the problem:

When I push the ignition button, I hear nothing at all.  The engine doesn't try to turn over.  Just complete silence.

I'd guess there's a problem with the ignition coil (sticker on the side says "Inspected 06/94").

I don't really know what to test to narrow the problem down.  I asked my neighbor, and he blew a fuse, so I need the forum's help.

Thank you in advance,
Ryan

Found 50 Messages

Previous Set of Pages 1 | 2 | 3