× 1-800-946-2642 Home My Account Social / Forum Articles Contact My Cart
Shop Now
Select Your Car Type Sale Items Clearance Items New Items

 trying to register my 72 saloon in CA

 Created by: CJLazer
   Forum Width:     Forum Type: 

 Posted: May 3, 2023 04:10PM
Total posts: 1084
Last post: May 3, 2023
Member since:Nov 3, 2011
Cars in Garage: 0
Photos: 0
WorkBench Posts: 0
The heritage cert won't help. The problem is that after 67, the classic Mini was not sold in the US. So there is no standard, federal or otherwise to be able to test to.

The CA DMV simply trips on it's own rules, as they try to make you do impossible things. Your job is to prove it can't be done the way they think, and thus get a letter of exemption.

What I do in situations like this is go to different clerks at the counter till I can find someone who knows what they are doing. Even to an office out of your home area to find a "car guy" that knows what to do.  They ARE out there!  You can indeed register 1975 and earlier cars if you go about it right. It helps if they have been registered in another state first rather than importing directly to California.

 Posted: Apr 29, 2023 07:41PM
Total posts: 311
Last post: May 11, 2023
Member since:Jan 22, 2018
Cars in Garage: 0
Photos: 0
WorkBench Posts: 0
I'm no expert but newer than 68 seems to be a problem.

 Posted: Apr 29, 2023 09:55AM
Total posts: 2
Last post: Apr 29, 2023
Member since:Sep 7, 2022
Cars in Garage: 0
Photos: 0
WorkBench Posts: 0
need advise on what steps to take to get a ca registration, 68-74 imports seem to be a big problem in california, ive gone through the steps required but keep hitting roadblock after roadblock, ive ordered a heritage cert hopefully that will help, but any advise would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance