Reprogramming New MINI Keys for R50, R52 and R53 models.
The procedure below applies to:
- 2002-2006 R50 MINI Cooper Hatchback
- 2002-2006 R53 Cooper S Hatchback
- 2005-2008 R52 MINI Cooper and Cooper S Convertibles.
This information on instructions for key reprogramming was posted by a user in our forum. Following these instructions will hopefully link keys that have lost their battery charge and the battery has been replaced.
These instructions can be used to 'restore' existing keys that have lost communication with the car due to a dead key fob battery. These instructions are not for replacement keys as new keys need to be programmed with the vin number to get 'paired' to the car. For replacement keys, we refer to the MINI dealership service department.
As you'll see from many of the comments below, it has worked for many, but not all.
So, as a precautionary message, please proceed at your own risk.
P.S. And if you have any questions, want to help other, or simply leave a review... please do so in the comment section.
If your key/remote won't unlock/lock your doors, try this:
1. Have all the keys on you when you get into the car.
2. Get in and shut the doors (don't open them until your finished programming)
3. Put a key in the ignition and turn to the first click, then back and take the key out all within 5 seconds
4. Now hold down the unlock button, while holding it down press the lock button 3 times, then release the unlock button, the doors should lock and unlock. DON'T touch the doors or door locks yet.
(4.5 Customer Renee adds the following: Immediately after completing the sequence, hold the key near the sensor in the rear vision mirror. 05/25/21 )
5. Repeat action 4 for any other keys
6. Once you've finished doing this to all the keys you can open the door or put a key in the ignition to finish the programming.
7. Try the lock and unlock with the keys, they should work, if they don't try again, the sequence is critical. If you cant get them to work a trip to the dealer will be happening. It worked for me good luck.
If that doesn't work, try this:
1. Get in car and close doors.
2. Insert key into ignition.
3. Turn key almost to the point of starting and back 4 times.
4. Remove key.
5. Hold down the "unlock" button on the key and push the center "lock" button on the key three times, releasing the unlock button on the key as you release the last of the three "lock" pushes.
(5.5 Customer Renee adds the following: Immediately after completing the sequence, hold the key near the sensor in the rear vision mirror. 05/25/21)
The doors should lock and unlock. All done.
Spruce up your keys with a MINI Cooper Key Chain!